Chapter2- The Chocobo Mage

******************************************************************************

    It was early the late morning when Ariac and the Goblin Mages awoke. Ariac had decided the previous night to try and live by herself in the Great Dead Forest. The Goblin Mages were heading that direction also. After a quick breakfast the trio set off.

    The Goblins knew the area well. They stopped every now and then to show Ariac the best trade routes, where to meet monster Synthers, best spots to ambush and mug Dwarves, and other issues important to Goblin Mages. They also told her of what plants could be mixed into Potions, which were edible, and let her try some. Obviously the Goblin Mages respected Ariac, for a reason which she knew not.

    Ariac was stunned by the sheer size of the forest. It stretched across a wide ravine near the beach. The Goblin Mages and Ariac parted company near the entrance. Ariac took a trail, while the Goblin Mages headed off into the wild parts. Ariac liked forests. They were... Well, she just did. This forest, to most, would be somewhat creepy and desolate, but to Ariac it was a welcoming abode. A loud avian cry to her left startled her. Ariac jumped and spun to her side. A fat, overgrown Owl was sleeping comfortably in a hollow created by two fallen trees. Well, at least she had an idea of what kind of monsters lived here. After a while she came across an enormous tree that had fallen over. It was hollow, and the roots were facing her.

    "That’ll do!" she said. Climbing into it, she saw that it had been occupied at one time by some monster, but had been left long ago. A hole was ripped in the ceiling, providing dim illumination. Ariac found it quite cozy. She spent a few hours exploring the area around her for about a ten-foot radius. She gathered firewood for her new home and set about making markers. When she had all that done, she found a long, stout stick and several tufted blades of tall grass. Using some thin vines, she made a makeshift broom, which she used to sweep out her home. By that time it was early afternoon. Ariac was very busy. She still had to get supper on. She was out collecting a species of tuber when she ran into the Goblin Mages. They were both toting brand-new silver swords.

    "Hey there!" she called. The Goblin Mages walked over.

    "We just got back from C. Mage’s place. She synthed us some new swords with some of the junk we swiped from those Dwarves at Conde Petie."

    "C. Mage?"

    "The Chocobo Mage. Kinda strange, she is. I think she’s nuts. She lives a little northeast from here."

    They talked a little longer and finally parted company. Ariac decided that she would visit this Chocobo Mage the next day. Today she was far too busy. After she had gathered the tubers, she brought back some fruit growing from a nearby tree. Then some edible leaves. The tubers, leaves, and fruit would make a salad. That would, essentially, be her supper. After a quick meal, she decided she needed some self-defense. The ability to talk to monsters didn’t mean that some would listen. She searched for a good staff, or at least good staff material. That night’s search was unsuccessful. Finally, Ariac turned in for the night.

    The next morning she awoke at the crack of dawn.

    "Aw, geez... never sleep in a hollow log. I got some crick in my neck." She muttered to herself as she tottered sleepily out of the entrance. She started down the path to a stream she came by the previous day. She leaned over it and splashed the cold water on her face.

    "That’s better." She yawned. As she turned to go, something shiny caught her eye. She looked back, and saw it was... a flat, silver spear blade! What was that doing here?! She bent over to see if the spear was whole, and to her disappointment, she saw none. But this blade could be of use. She carried to back to her house. On the way there, she came to a fallen tree. She didn’t know what kind it was, but it had some good staff material. She found a good branch, and set to trying to break it off. She grabbed the end and tried to lever it, but stopped for fear she would break the branch in half. She stood on the base and jumped up and down, but to no avail. She tried dropping heavier, thicker logs on it, but none of these would work. Then she remembered the spear blade. She had only begun to set pressure to the branch when the blade sliced cleanly through. She blinked in surprise. How did that... oh, well, what’s done is done! She noticed that the cut area was scorched. How did that happen? Once more she shrugged it off. She picked up the staff and started towards her home, to put the spear together. On the way she snagged a few strong vines. When she reached her house, she sat cross-legged on the ground and started trying to get the spear intact. It took her about two and one half-hour, but she finally got a wobbly spear set up. Then she remembered that synthesizer! What was her name...? Chocobo Mage! The Goblin Mages said she lived north of here. Ariac shouldered her spear and set off. The going was generally easy, until she got to a set of hedges. This was where she and the Goblins had parted company. She forced her way roughly through until she came to the opposite end. Here was a hidden path! It wasn’t as smooth or well built as the other one, but it did give her some sort of direction. She wondered what the Chocobo Mage would look like. It had to be a human, only humans could be Mages, right? That’s what Ariac had always assumed. The Mage must know magic that was Chocobo-oriented. Maybe she even owned some. Ariac was busy thinking, and she almost didn’t hear the loud sound of something large moving ahead. She came sharply to attention and held her spear out in front of her. Through the thick brush she could make out... a Black Mage’s hat! Ariac shuddered. She knew about the Black Mages. Alexandria had recently been using them for war. Queen Brahne had just destroyed the city of Cleyra and Burmecia! That was the latest new Ariac had heard. She knew that the Black Mages were mindless, bloodthirsty puppets. She decided that, if possible, she would take this one down. Or die trying. She leapt forward, uttering the battle cry of a Grand Dragon, a truly terrifying sound.

    "I say, old chap. Truly dreadful racket you’re making, truly dreadful. And that spear, ya nearly impaled me head, wot wot!"

    Ariac stared blankly ahead. She had fallen a few inches short of her target. Her spear was pointed upwards and came just below its chin. It wasn’t, however, a Black Mage. It was a Chocobo wearing a Mage’s hat. And, it appeared to have just spoken.

    "Bad form, sah. Not polite to stare."

    It spoke with a mild British accent, and its voice seemed to suggest it had rather cheerful overview of the world.

    "Did... you just talk? I mean, in human language?"

    "Yes I did, old chap. Now, d’ya think you could lower that spear, eh wot?"

    Ariac complied dumbly. Then she caught on. This was a joke! The Chocobo Mage was playing a joke on her! She laughed.

    "Alright, ya got me. Come out. Very funny joke."

    The Chocobo stared at her suddenly taking offense. "I am not a joke, old chap. Are you deliberately being rude or are you completely ignorant?"

    Ariac crossed her arms.

    ‘It’s getting old. Come out."

    The Chocobo ruffled its feathers and craned its neck so that its beak was almost touching Ariac’s nose. "This... is... no... joke. I am Chocobo mage, the one and only, wot wot!"

    "Prove it."

    The Chocobo drew itself up and swiped one wing across the ground. Following the path, a chill breeze blew, and the ground was frozen in an arc. Blizzard. Ariac stared ahead, stunned.

    "Well... I wasn’t expecting that."

    The Chocobo Mage sniffed indignantly and peered at Ariac. Or, rather, her spear. "Good heavens! That is some blade you got there, old gel. But... It’s not secured very tightly, is it, wot."

    "That’s why I’m here. I was told that you could fix this up."

    "Well then, erhem, you were directed well, wot wot! I can fix this up right. But... the blade structure isn’t at all stable. The blade itself is made of a rare material, but it needs reshaping. D’ya mind if I... experiment, eh wot?"

    Ariac shrugged. "You’re the expert."

    The Chocobo Mage grinned and took the wobbly spear up and tucked it up under her wing.

    "Now what’s a gel like you doin’ in a forest like this all alone? Dangerous, doncha know."

    Ariac blinked. The Chocobo Mage didn’t know? Maybe it was better she didn’t know. "That’s why I have a weapon."

    The Chocobo mage looked at Ariac.

    "How did you come to hear of me?"

    Ariac was apprehensive. She had to try and fib her way out. "Word gets around." She stated simply. The Chocobo Mage seemed to take this to heart, and nodded cheerfully.

    "Alright then, quick’s the word and sharp’s the action, wot! Follow me to my humble abode!" She trotted off, and Ariac followed.

    "She is a bit eccentric." She muttered to herself.

***

Note: I’ll try and get some of my character fanart up soon. Be patient. Patience is a virtue. Nyaa... Wark..

~Chocobo Mage